A resource from K-12: The Teaching Tolerance webinar series

Facebooktwitterlinkedinmail

I’m a big fan of mining the wealth of resources offered by and for K-12 practitioners in the area of teaching and learning, from simple teaching tips to whole movements, such as backward design. Last year, the keynote speaker at Fall Teaching & Learning Day was Ron Ritchhart of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, whose work on Thinking Routines in K-12 has tremendous applicability to college teaching in relation to critical thinking, peer learning, and classroom assessment.

A resource that I’ve been following this semester is a series of webinars on classroom climate put out by Teaching Tolerance, from the Southern Poverty Law Center. The session for this week is “Responding to Incidents of Hate and Bias,” and the webinars are archived for individuals who want to access the resources but cannot participate in the live sessions. I’ll be using a tool from a previous webinar, “Let’s Talk: Discussing Race, Racism, and Other Difficult Topics,” in an upcoming roundtable at UB’s Fall Teaching & Learning Day. My goal is to talk with faculty about their skill building needs in relation to classroom climate, in order to help shape future programming. I look forward to the conversation that ensues.