On October 3, 2019, Beta Alpha Psi, the student honor society for accounting, finance and information systems held the fifth annual Back to UB Night. This year’s event focused on careers in government accounting, auditing and finance. The Department of Accounting and BAP traditionally bring together UB accounting alumni and current student to help UB students learn from our alumni about their success in accounting careers.
The panel of distinguished alumni and friends, represented a wide spectrum of government accounting and finance. By all accounts, this was a very productive and exciting evening where students were given full exposure to careers in government accounting and finance.
Our panelists were:
- Rebecca Bier, who holds a BS in Accounting from UB from 1989,.began her career as an auditor with State of Maryland – Office of Legislative Audits. She currently works in Finance Office of the Department of Legislative Services for the State of Maryland as Members Account Supervisor.
- Pat Byer, who holds an MBA from UB is the current Managing Principal (MP) of CliftonLarsonAllen’s Office of the Maryland region and the past MP of the Washington, D.C. Region and the Federal Government Practice at CLA. He is also a practice principal in Federal Government industry segment. In his more than 31 years of practice, Pat has held various leadership positions in the local office, region and firm, helping to shape strategic focus and direction while driving growth and increasing profitability both at the local office and the firm.
- Peter Pupshis is a senior manager with KPMG’s Federal Audit practice. He possesses over 30 years of accounting, audit and financial management experience and has successfully led large project teams addressing high-profile, complex Federal and commercial projects
- Bill Seymour, a Towson University graduate, is a partner at SB & Company, LLC (SBC) who leads SBC’s governmental practice. Bill has over 20 years of experience in public accounting and serving governments. Bill has served governments of all sizes and types, from townships to states. He has testified on a proposed government accounting standards to GASB.
- Johnny Ramsey, who holds an MBA from UB, is a senior manager with KPMG Federal Audit practice. Mr. Ramsey has 29 years of accounting experience including 17 years performing Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 (CFO Act) audits, and other accounting and advisory services for Federal agencies. He also has experience auditing commercial, local governments, and nonprofit entities. Johnny has served in several leadership roles in the Association of Government Accountants.
- Taylor Wilson is a Senior Consultant in Deloitte Consulting’s Finance practice with a focus in Strategy and Operations. Prior to consulting, Taylor spent two years with Deloitte’s audit practice. He graduated from the University of Baltimore in 2014, where during his time he served as BAP president and spoke at Oxford University on International Accounting Convergence.
Check out some of the photos from the event.