The UB Writing Center is dedicated to building relationships with the writers in our community and helping students develop their writing over time.
At the Writing Center, we work collaboratively with the UB community to equip writers at all levels with the resources they need to become more skilled and confident. We help writers develop and improve their work at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming to final draft. A collaborative session at the Writing Center provides a sounding board for new ideas and offers writers the confidence of knowing their thinking makes sense to a real reader. Everyone benefits from a writing consultation because writing IS collaboration!
In a consultation at the Writing Center, the writer provides the disciplinary content knowledge, and the consultant provides the rhetorical awareness necessary to help writers develop a scholarly identity and writer’s voice. We help writers recognize the fluidity and flexibility of grammar and acknowledge that “correct” grammar is subjective and changes based on rhetorical situations. We strive to preserve the writer’s voice within the context of their disciplines and help them see the value of their individual experiences and their place within a discourse community. And finally, we work to facilitate relationships between faculty, the writing center, and student writers to enhance their experiences with writing in personal, professional, and academic contexts.
The UB Writing Center will make your writing work for you!
Writing Consultants provide the following services to the UB community:
- One-on-one consultation at any stage in the writing process: understanding an assignment, developing ideas, revising a draft, or editing/proofreading.
- Individually tailored revision strategies.
- Opportunities for writers to identify error patterns and learn to correct their own mistakes.
- In-class workshops on specific writing strategies/skills and other small group discussion about writing assignments.
- Online consultations and feedback for distance learners and working students.
- Respond to pressing questions about the writing process via social media.
- Teaching, learning, and leadership opportunities for the Writing Center staff.
- Faculty support for writing instruction across disciplines.
All writers benefit from feedback. We hope you’ll visit the Writing Center throughout your time at UB. After one consultation at the Writing Center, students will want to return to the Writing Center for another session. After multiple visits, students will be able to:
- Articulate goals and take steps to meet them.
- Engage in writing as an ongoing process.
- Feel empowered to take ownership over their own writing.
- Acquire strategies to improve a specific writing assignment or project.
Do you love writing? Are you interested in helping students? Do you enjoy collaborating with peers and faculty? If you answered yes, then you should consider working for the Writing Center! After working in the Writing Center, consultants will be able to:
- Respond with compassion and optimism to a wide variety of student writing challenges.
- Collaborate effectively with Writing Center staff, university faculty, and others to build community around writing.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement by developing and sharing their writing knowledge.
- Develop, maintain, and improve the Writing Center resources and materials.
- Recognize the disciplinary characteristics of Writing Center scholarship and participate meaningfully in its academic community.
- Understand the interconnected nature of the Writing Center, the University, and the world both inhabit.
Contact writing [at] ubalt [dot] edu for more information.