Currently listening to…

“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy.” – Miss Tick, in the late Sir Terry Pratchett’s The Wee Free Men

I don’t remember how I discovered the Tiffany Aching series, imagined and penned by Terry Pratchett, a knighted genius who was taken from us far too soon (he suffered early onset Alzheimer’s disease).  Nevertheless, this series is so completely enchanting that I re-listen to them every other year or so.  Because a fifth book, The Shepherd’s Crown, was just published posthumously I decided to start from the beginning and will spend the winter break deeply submerged in “the chalk.”

Wee Free Men Hat Full of Sky I shall Wear Midnight  WintersmithThe Shepherd's Crown

The first book features nine-year old Tiffany Aching, an introverted, smart, stubborn girl who wants to be a witch.  She will eventually enjoy the tutelage of Miss Tick (quoted above) and other more seasoned “hags”.

“It doesn’t stop being magic just because you know how it works.”

While the books are astonishing and lovely, they are made MAGICAL by the narration of Stephen Briggs:

Stephen Briggs

I think these stories should be heard, not read.  Do yourself a favor!