Odeana Neal: Intellect, Insight, Kindness

By Dionne Koller 

Neal OdeanaProf. Odeana Neal has an unmistakable laugh that serves many purposes. Sometimes, it is a spontaneous response to the funny moments life presents. Sometimes, it’s the laugh of a person with a truly flawless B.S. detector. And sometimes, it’s a laugh that radiates a beautiful kind of empathy.  

It’s the laugh of someone with a singular combination of intellect, insight, kindness and a gift for timing, and is always rooted in honesty. Because our offices were next to each other, I frequently got the benefit of laughing with Odeana, and I, and so many others, will miss it.  

My proximity to Odeana meant that I saw regularly that I was far from the only person who was touched by her generous spirit. Odeana was “student-centered” long before that was a priority in legal education, and she spent countless hours teaching, mentoring, supporting, supervising and otherwise helping to usher students into the legal profession as well-trained, healthy and whole individuals. As she ends her 35-year career at the University of Baltimore School of Law, that will certainly be one of her most important legacies.  

She worked closely with the Fannie Angelos Program for Academic Success, making UBalt Law’s access mission real for the many talented students who participated in the program. She took over leadership of the law school’s LL.M. in Law of the United States program, connecting with and supporting students from around the world to help them realize their dream of an American law degree.  

She worked in an informed and deliberate way on bar exam and academic success efforts, and I was frequently told her ability to teach Property was unmatched. She created courses in Juvenile Justice and in Sexual Orientation and the Law, and whatever she taught, she was always innovative in her approach. Most recently, she provided significant support in the effort to reform UBalt Law’s unique Introduction to Lawyering Skills course. I could go on. 

Rather than simply reciting Odeana’s many accomplishments, however, I think it better to highlight through the words of colleagues and former students a few of the many ways she made an impact on this law school — not just as an institution, but as a community, as so many of us benefitted from her brilliant mind, boundless warmth and unsparing wisdom.  

Prof. Margaret Johnson recalls that she “always admired Odeana for her strength and principled stance on issues. Her collaborative spirit in helping to found and maintain such intersectional feminist initiatives as the Special Topics in Applied Feminism course, the feminist book club, and the strategic planning for women faculty, helped make UBalt a more intellectual and inclusive space.” 

Prof. Elizabeth Keyes notes that Odeana “knew what was what,” and “cared in such a profound way about the students.” Odeana was often “a voice of wisdom and reason for all of us, on issues big and small,” and “she couldn’t walk five feet around the building without being warmly greeted by this student, having a quick check-in with another, or being drawn into a deeper conversation about succeeding in law school and the profession with yet another.”  

Prof. Neal Kempler states, “I first met Odeana through her work with bar studiers, and it was clear she had a unique ability to make complex topics accessible and engaging. When I later had her as my 1L Property professor, I saw firsthand how she approaches teaching with a mix of rigor and wit that truly resonates. Odeana is that rare type of educator who prioritizes her students’ professional and personal growth. Her impact on our students and our institution will be felt for years to come.” 

Prof. Jaime Lee fondly recalls her long, late-night talks with Odeana when Lee was new to UBalt Law. “Odeana’s commitment to justice, and her intellectual might, fearlessness, generosity and kindness have given me and so many others endless inspiration and joy over these many years, and will always continue to do so.” 

Prof. Angela Vallario explains that “25 years ago, Odeana was on the appointments committee that hired me. She supported me being hired, and I’ll never forget how valued she made me feel. I am grateful for her service to the law school in so many ways.”  

Student Kamryn Washington, Class of 2025, stated that “it is hard to come up with words that express what she has done for me. She brought the excitement back to law school. She was a tough professor who demanded excellence from her students. She also was the school auntie who was always available to listen and give tough, but much needed, advice. I am extremely blessed to have had her as a professor and mentor.” 

And finally, Prof. Emeritus Robert Lande wishes “Kippy” a happy retirement (and thinks she will laugh when she reads this). 

In legal education, we often refer to what we do as teaching students to “think like lawyers.” For me, Odeana Neal’s most important legacy is that she not only taught students to think like lawyers, but to think like lawyers who know that to effectively secure justice for others, lawyers must also value their own well-being. An important part of that, Odeana showed us, is being unafraid to say the things that need to be said — and never forgetting the many benefits of a well-timed laugh.

Dionne Koller is a professor at UBalt School of Law.

Share this story with your network:

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email