HomeNews & UpdatesTeaching & Learning

Student Nominated CELTT Excellence in Teaching Awards

CELTT invited UBalt faculty and staff to celebrate Thank A Teacher Week on Friday, May 12, 2023 at Checkerspot Brewery. As in previous years for Thank A Teacher Week,  CELTT sent out a call to students that they could submit a written or video recorded kudos to their faculty. This year, the kudos were also used to nominate faculty for the inaugural Student Nominated CELTT Excellence in Teaching Awards. Below you can review the 2023 recipients of these awards as well as an excerpt from a submitted student note:

CELTT Excellence in Teaching Award Recipient

Nusta Carranza Ko, CPA – She records lectures for students in online classes to watch, gives you leeway for opinions, and is always consistent in how she runs her classes. The consistency is especially important from a student’ point-of-view; you always know what you’ll get with her. She also genuinely cares. She’s a rare find in the vast world of Academia.

CELTT Excellence in Student Support

Irvin Naiman, MSBThank you, Professor Naiman, for making an otherwise confusing class and subject less confusing and understandable. Coming back to school after a 23-year hiatus is no small feat in itself but I do appreciate your patience and understanding for students like me who may have taken a little longer to catch on to the subject matter. The very best to you and thank you again.

CELTT Excellence in Teaching Innovation

Shelly Clay-Robison, CPAI appreciate your teaching style and how it is important to engage others in their thought processes. Thanks for believing in the power of dialogue and how impactful communications are to every area of conflict, negotiations, management and resolutions. If it wouldn’t take me another Year to earn this degree, I would’ve switched to this Discipline for my degree. Thank You!

CELTT Excellence in Creating an Inclusive and Supportive Learning Environment

Aaron Wachhaus, CPA Aaron Wachhaus curates an educational experience for his doctoral students. It can be a difficult task to lead leaders. His DPA students are all accomplished professionals in their respective professions; therefore, pep talks need to be revised. Finding innovative ways to teach complex concerns and string that content together with the rigor level that taps into his students’ critical thinking skills is a gift. High academic standards, intense academic rigor, technology, and practically lived experiences describe Dr. Wachhaus’ signature teaching style. He is uniquely gifted with the ability to inspire very accomplished people to dig deeper and show up for themselves, their peers, and for him.

Honorable Mentions

Jennifer Keohane, CASProfessor K, thank you for making CMAT 303 such a lively and fascinating class. To be honest, we need more professors like you at UB. This is one of the classes that feels like it’s worth the money I’m paying for. Your enthusiasm for teaching is clear in the way you assess our work in a timely manner and provide us with thorough feedback. Thank you so much; you are greatly appreciated.

Dennis Pitta, MSB- You have inspired me to continue my travels to continue my learning journey around the world. Diversity is so important, and along with that, exposure and immersion can only be beneficial.

John Donahue, CASWith subject matter that can be tedious and boring, you animate it with life and enthusiasm. The depth of your knowledge is great, yet you present it with such humility. The fact that you will access the fairness of questions on a test based on how many students got it right is rare, and reflects the justice that should extend into the rest of the world. Thank you for being awesome.

Sally Farley, CAS– You have encouraged me to be my full self wherever I am. As a closet nerd, I often hide my innate curiosity and acquired knowledge for fear of making others uncomfortable. But after being around you, I have more confidence to be more authentic and eclectic.

Kevin Vinson, CAS Dr. Vinson inspires me to pursue counseling with passion. He empowers me to be competent in the field of professional counseling. Dr. Vinson has made an impact on my present life by challenging me to move pass my insecurities to succeed. Dr. Vinson has made an impact on my future by equipping me with the academic tools necessary to fulfill my dreams as a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor.