Read Ta-Nehisi Coates’s new work in The Atlantic Monthly

For both Divided Baltimore students and community participants in our Monday forums, I have new recommendations for readings, following on my first recommendation that you read Ta-Nehisi Coates’s “The Case for Reparations.”

In its September issue, The Atlantic published “Letter to My Son,” an essay adapted from his book, Between the World and Me (Spiegel & Grau, 2015), which we have also mentioned previously. See: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/07/tanehisi-coates-between-the-world-and-me/397619/

In its October issue, you can find his article, “The Black Family in the Age of Incarceration,” which revisits the 1965 Moynihan Report, in effect updating it and rehabilitating it.   See:  http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/the-black-family-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/

I share these articles, because they provide an excellent background for what we will be addressing in upcoming communities forums–on housing segregation and family wealth (9/21), employment (9/28), education (10/5) and the justice and court system (10/12).  An updated schedule will be posted on Monday, September 21.

Although I recommend both articles–indeed all three by Coates–I strongly recommend for our forum on segregation and the courts Parts IV and V in the “The Black Family in the Age of Incarceration,” in which Coates reflects on the construction of blacks as criminals and as fugitives.

Please feel free to comment in order to expand the conversation.

4 thoughts on “Read Ta-Nehisi Coates’s new work in The Atlantic Monthly

1. funny shooter 2

I appreciate your excellent article. Thank you for sharing this content; I enjoyed reading it. I read the shorter writings periodically and explain the writers’ reasons, as I did with this one.

Reply
    1. Joe Wood

Thanks for reading. We offered this community wide course in 2915 following Freddie Gray’s death, and I’m pleased to know people still find it interesting and useful as a source for readings and ideas. However, I retired in 2018 and now do book reviews mostly.

For more reading, I recommend anything else by Ta-Neshi Coates, so go to the open web to find references.

JSW

Reply