Teaching Corner

Live from Austin, It’s SXSW EDU!

By the time you open the CELTT Channel newsletter and check out this post, I’ll probably be roaming the halls of the Austin Convention Center, gearing up for another enriching day at SXSW EDU. This conference, running alongside the famous arts festival, focuses on the evolving landscape of education, spotlighting cutting-edge trends and innovations.

As CELTT’s Emerging Learning Technology Lead, I’ll be checking out sessions that promise to redefine effective learning environments and teaching methodologies. Below, I highlight a few standouts that have captured my attention, and I believe they hold valuable insights for us all.

• Unraveling Myths About Critical Race Theory in Education: Dr. Jonathan Cox from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and Dr. Kimberlé Crenshaw of the African American Policy Forum will delve into Critical Race Theory (CRT), addressing misconceptions and underscoring its role in fostering justice and equity within education.
  • AI’s Leap: Shaping Tailored LearningBeth Rudden of Bast AI will explore the transformative potential of AI in education, emphasizing personalized learning that respects individual differences and promotes cognitive diversity.
  • Placemaking & Belonging in Higher EducationKelsey Finn of Compass Group and Dr. Loren Rullman of Workshop Architects will lead a dynamic conversation on cultivating campus spaces that inspire inclusion, engagement, and a strong sense of community.
  • Creating a Culture of Innovation & Change (That Works)Dr. Bridget Burns from the University Innovation Alliance will share insights and strategies from her extensive experience with institutional innovation, offering practical advice for navigating and embracing change.
  • Redefining Success in a Changing Higher Education LandscapeTimothy Fields of Emory University and Shereem Herndon-Brown of Strategic Admissions Advice, LLC will examine the shifting paradigms of higher education and admissions, focusing on equity and support for underrepresented groups amidst these changes.

I encourage you to browse the other sessions I’ve marked on my SXSW EDU schedule. If any spark your interest or if you have topics or questions you’d like me to pursue, feel free to email me directly at jgoffredi@ubalt.eduYour feedback will greatly enhance our collective exploration of these themes.

When I get back to Charm City, I’m excited to share a comprehensive recap of my SXSW EDU experience. My goal is to translate these learnings into practical strategies that can enrich our teaching and support frameworks, ultimately benefiting our student community. Until then, I’ll be keeping it weird in Austin just a bit longer. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find the city’s best barbecue, I’d greatly appreciate it!