Rediscovering Motivation: A Journey with My Mother and the Power of Body Doubling

Over the summer, my mother and I established a daily routine, beginning promptly at 7 a.m. We would venture out for a two-mile walk every morning, awakening our souls to the beautiful songs of birds that serenaded us.

Initially, my morning walks were a solitary journey, occurring on random days of the week, unlike my mother, at 72, who has an unwavering dedication to daily exercise.

My mother spontaneously decided to join me on one of my walks. I welcomed her company, relishing the opportunity to engage in meaningful conversations. We discussed her extensive plans for six upcoming trips and the highs and lows of me still parenting my adult daughters.

But, when my mother eventually stopped accompanying me on our walks, I struggled to maintain my motivation. As a result, I gradually stopped walking and regained the ten pounds I had previously shed.

Kris Locus

Kris Locus

It became evident that, even at 46, I still relied on my mother’s subtle encouragement to coax me into action. This introspection led me to an exciting discovery: the concept of body doubling. I was introduced to this technique during a time management workshop led by Kris Locus, an On Our Own of Maryland facilitator. When Kris introduced the concept, it ignited my curiosity.

After the workshop, I emailed Kris with some follow-up questions:

Do you recall your first encounter with body doubling?

In a way, I’ve always known about body doubling– I have always been more productive when working near others. Still, I didn’t realize there was a term for it. About four months ago, I was formally introduced to the term within this role and was delighted to hear there were ways to engage virtually.

How have you personally embraced body doubling?

I have incorporated it into my daily routine on numerous occasions. On certain days, I deliberately choose to work at the public library, surrounded by others.

What virtual apps have you tried, and what makes them stand out? One site I recommend is Focus Mate, primarily due to its cost-free option. This versatile application accommodates a wide range of tasks, including desk work, cleaning, cooking, art, music, writing, or reading, as long as you maintain a camera presence.

Is there anything else you’d like to say about body doubling?

Given my experience with ADHD, I often become overly immersed in work tasks, sometimes spending hours at my desk without a break. Body doubling is a valuable tool for helping me remember to break, stretch, and conduct self-checks, maintaining a healthier balance.

As I delved deeper into body doubling, I experimented with different virtual apps, eager to find the best one. I discovered that body doubling isn’t just about increasing productivity; it’s about finding the motivation to start in the first place.

My mother may not always be by my side, but thanks to body doubling, I’ve found a new source of motivation to keep moving forward, one step at a time.

Introduction to Body Doubling and Focusmate – Watch Video