For those of you who miss being at Camden Yards on opening day, we recommend getting your baseball fix at the library.
To get you in the mood, here are several books available in Langsdale you may want to peruse:
- Beard, G. (1967). Birds on the Wing; the Story of the Baltimore Orioles. Garden City, N.Y: Doubleday.
- Eisenberg, J. (2001). From 33rd Street to Camden Yards: An Oral History of the Baltimore Orioles.Lincolnwood, Ill: Contemporary Books.
- Felber, B. (2007). A Game of Brawl: The Orioles, the Beaneaters, and the Battle for the 1897 Pennant. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
- Hamilton, B. W., & Johns Hopkins University. (1996). Baltimore’s Camden Yards Ballparks.
Baltimore, Md.: Johns Hopkins University, Dept. of Economics.
- Lieb, F. (1955). The Baltimore Orioles; the History of a Colorful Team in Baltimore and St. Louis. New York: Putnam.
- Maryland. (1992). Economic and Fiscal Impacts of Baltimore Orioles’ 1992 Season in Maryland. Baltimore, MD.
- Richmond, P. (1993). Ballpark: Camden Yards and the Building of an American Dream. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Solomon, B. (1999). Where They Ain’t: The Fabled Life and Untimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team That Gave Birth to Modern Baseball. New York, NY: Free Press.
If you don’t feel like coming to Langsdale, you can also access several baseball related journals and magazines through ResearchPort. Here are a few:
- Baseball Digest
- The International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship
- Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports
Finally, while I am sure a baseball fan will know about ESPN, MLB.com and the like, here are a few websites with information about the history of baseball that you may want to check out.
- The Library of Congress’ Historic Baseball Resources
- Sports Illustrated Vault – Sports Illustrated has put 54 years worth of its articles online. Included in the archive is a copy of every cover, and links to related videos and photographs, although the photographs from the artices themselves are largely absent. However, they make it pretty easy to do things like search for covers featuring the Baltimore Orioles.
Do you have a favorite baseball related book, journal or website not listed here? Let us know in the comments.